Thursday 6 June 2013

Valdes dilemma remaining unsolved

Last month Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes confirmed he would leave the club at the end of next season after making more than 500 appearances for the Catalans. 
The 31-year-old, whose contract expires at that time, has told club officials that he will not be signing a new deal and has decided to move on, with French financial-giants Monaco his likely destination.
Spanish stopper Valdes has been a fantastic servant to his side, spending over 12 years as part of the first-team. But the keeper has cited the pressure of playing for the club as the main reason for his departure.
This could start a worrying trend with expectations so high of many young, highly-paid players that are not permitted to make a single mistake.
Upon announcing his decision, Valdes commented: "Being the goalkeeper at the club is a big weight to carry and I have felt it since I was very young.
"There is a lot of pressure, and the demands I put on myself to make sure Barca win is a heavy weight to carry."
After rejecting the offer of a new deal in January he spoke of his different sources of motivation.
"I consider that my cycle as a Barcelona player will come to an end when my current contract expires in 2014," the Spaniard added. "I understand that with 18 months' warning there should be sufficient time to find the best solution for the club and for the player, so that Barca keep on winning and so do I.
"In January, I said I could see myself playing in other leagues, getting to know something different and looking for different sources of motivation."
Former Barcelona player and current Liverpool number one Pepe Reina had been linked with a move back to the Nou Camp, but those reports have since by rubbished by both the Reds and the player himself - who has confirmed that he is happy at Anfield.
With recent 'big-name signings' such as Cesc Fabregas and Alexis Sanchez having reportedly failed to have settled at the Spanish giants, and with both linked with moves away, the pressure of playing for Barcelona appears to have reached new levels.
The Lionel Messi-inspired domination of the last decade has arguably begun to fade, and Barca chiefs seem to be demanding a return to winning ways in Europe. For some, that pressure is clearly too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment